SuperWerer
[Flash-Scratch] Beat-em-up inspired game (Demo) - Printable Version

+- SuperWerer (https://superwerer.com)
+-- Forum: Personal Content (https://superwerer.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Game Devlogs & Releases (https://superwerer.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Flash-Scratch] Beat-em-up inspired game (Demo) (/showthread.php?tid=675)

[Flash-Scratch] Beat-em-up inspired game (Demo) - kengally - 07-27-2018

Hello,

I usually make video games on scratch and export them to SWF/EXE.
I'm currently working on a game inspired by beat-em-ups and an MMORPG named "Grand Chase".
You can download it via this mega link: <URL url="https://mega.nz/#!qPRVkAYL!_1OZjiUcvEvOKuU8lpZ750kF1JiTJTYIjCYiyxjjEVM"><LINK_TEXT text="https://mega.nz/#!qPRVkAYL!_1OZjiUcvEvO ... CYiyxjjEVM">https://mega.nz/#!qPRVkAYL!_1OZjiUcvEvOKuU8lpZ750kF1JiTJTYIjCYiyxjjEVM</LINK_TEXT></URL>
The game is still a demo so I'll be open to any criticism to change for the final release (Except probably the art considering that's already all been drawn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

EDIT: I should mention that you can pause with the button "P" - this will really help with understanding the rest of the controls.

Re: [Flash-Scratch] Beat-em-up inspired game (Demo) - Gravaged - 07-28-2018

Hey Ken, I spoke to you earlier on Discord a lot about this game. There are some things I will definitely be reiterating, and then you can have these thoughts in text and I'll try and add further insight since it's not on the spot.

In the sound design, I would like to hear some more variation in the sound effects. I really enjoy the music, but I keep hearing the same punch sound and even worse I keep hearing the enemy damage sound. In the first stage for example, as you know it's a legit horde of zombies and I just hear "uhuhuh uh uh " or whatever sound they make. You can hit a lot of enemies at once and the repetitive sound is a bit obnoxious. Also I had mentioned that visually it's pretty overwhelming with the amount of enemies that are on you all at once. Even when knowing some of their attack patterns, because their timing is different and the number of them it's easy to get bogged down.

I really enjoy the "ASD" attacks, skills I believe they're called. I know which one is most appropriate for a situation, and it's rewarding to see it really help out whether it insta kills enemies or takes a big chunk of a boss's health. When I lose a level, I'm often motivated to complete it because I get like so close to beating it and I really want that satisfaction. That's a great quality.

I mentioned that I don't like the "Jump" prompt in boss battles. I'm really having fun with the combos of things I buy with skill points. There's a minor graphical glitch where the boss of Deserted Base stays in frame after death but it's clearly not supposed to, and same with Eternal Night, and I guess the intro stage too.

The more I play, the better I get of course. I'm very used to the controls and I'm having a lot of fun maneuvering with dash, and I have the dash attack which is really helpful in combination with fire.
I'm really writing this as I go, while I have another run through of the game.

I will now try Champion Mode, after beating the rest in regular.
It's definitely a lot harder, very fun challenge. I however don't think it holds up very well after losing the regular stages so many times and having to replay them. Additional levels would be nice and with something more than simply wave after wave, but I'm not sure what. It would be cool if beating all the levels did unlock a final hard level with a grandiose boss. I know you prefer non linear but I think that wouldn't be too invasive for your style. Or maybe complete everything on regular and then champion and THEN the final level, but I think that's a bit much. I really enjoy the skills and the things you can buy with skill points, it's a lot of fun messing around with them.
Other than all of this, just take whatever else I said earlier. Hope it was helpful!

Re: [Flash-Scratch] Beat-em-up inspired game (Demo) - kengally - 07-28-2018

<QUOTE author="Gravaged" post_id="2000" time="1532761181" user_id="583">
Gravaged post_id=2000 time=1532761181 user_id=583 Wrote:Hey Ken, I spoke to you earlier on Discord a lot about this game. There are some things I will definitely be reiterating, and then you can have these thoughts in text and I'll try and add further insight since it's not on the spot.

In the sound design, I would like to hear some more variation in the sound effects. I really enjoy the music, but I keep hearing the same punch sound and even worse I keep hearing the enemy damage sound. In the first stage for example, as you know it's a legit horde of zombies and I just hear "uhuhuh uh uh " or whatever sound they make. You can hit a lot of enemies at once and the repetitive sound is a bit obnoxious. Also I had mentioned that visually it's pretty overwhelming with the amount of enemies that are on you all at once. Even when knowing some of their attack patterns, because their timing is different and the number of them it's easy to get bogged down.

I really enjoy the "ASD" attacks, skills I believe they're called. I know which one is most appropriate for a situation, and it's rewarding to see it really help out whether it insta kills enemies or takes a big chunk of a boss's health. When I lose a level, I'm often motivated to complete it because I get like so close to beating it and I really want that satisfaction. That's a great quality.

I mentioned that I don't like the "Jump" prompt in boss battles. I'm really having fun with the combos of things I buy with skill points. There's a minor graphical glitch where the boss of Deserted Base stays in frame after death but it's clearly not supposed to, and same with Eternal Night, and I guess the intro stage too.

The more I play, the better I get of course. I'm very used to the controls and I'm having a lot of fun maneuvering with dash, and I have the dash attack which is really helpful in combination with fire.
I'm really writing this as I go, while I have another run through of the game.

I will now try Champion Mode, after beating the rest in regular.
It's definitely a lot harder, very fun challenge. I however don't think it holds up very well after losing the regular stages so many times and having to replay them. Additional levels would be nice and with something more than simply wave after wave, but I'm not sure what. It would be cool if beating all the levels did unlock a final hard level with a grandiose boss. I know you prefer non linear but I think that wouldn't be too invasive for your style. Or maybe complete everything on regular and then champion and THEN the final level, but I think that's a bit much. I really enjoy the skills and the things you can buy with skill points, it's a lot of fun messing around with them.
Other than all of this, just take whatever else I said earlier. Hope it was helpful!
</QUOTE>

Once again, thank you very much for the feedback ^_^
In terms of what I can try to improve:

I can see if I'll be able to add more range in the sound effects - if not then I'll likely remove the sound that enemies make when they get damaged.
In terms of the visual glitch where the boss freezes in place when dying - there's nothing I can do about that as programming it to move with the screen during the death animation can be uneccesarily tedious to program.
In terms of champion mode - I'm not sure how I can make the levels even harder unless I add difficulty options alongside it.
I plan to likely keep a non-linear level structure whilst adding more levels - I'll definitely have to think about how I handle that design choice, possibly you only have to complete 2/3 of the levels but if you complete 3/3, you unlock an even more final level for 100% completion sake.

Best Wishes,

~ Ken Gally

Re: [Flash-Scratch] Beat-em-up inspired game (Demo) - Gravaged - 08-03-2018

Hey Ken! I saw on the discord that you released a new version, so I'd like to give you updated thoughts. It might be a little scattered because I will give feedback as I play as opposed to afterwards while thinking of a cohesive analysis. Firstly, both the tutorial option as well as the revealing of what button pauses are great. Nice addition. There seems to be some great new additions to the store, and I'm excited to try them out.
I like the new stage, I think you were right in more stages being fine because it's worth it to see the new enemies and boss. I want to say I quickly felt OP, but then again I am on easy mode. I had bought shield, turret, fire, the fire explosion thing, and dash attack and I feel pretty untouchable.
After this comment I switched to hard mode and died a couple times, it was definitely more challenging. Enemies have more health and do more damage. Nice improvements Ken, you're on the right track!