• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning Music Theory
As a person who learned an instrument in the classical sense(Trumpet) and produces their own music, I have noticed an issue. I do not know as much about music theory as I thought. My knowledge is decent but, I want to increase my "know-how" in the realm of music. The things I am most interested in a learning about are chords,progressions, their structures, and how that effects the sound/mood of music. I also want to learn to identify notes by ear, not like Mozart but, enough to convert ideas to actually notes better when producing. So basically, I am asking how do I learn music theory? Where do I start? What resources helped you guys out? Are there any tips or tricks I should know? Is there a systematic process that you followed? Or is it all through experience and practice? Any help is appreciated. Also, I want to learn to play the piano as well. So tips for that are also appreciated.
<EMAIL email="kidkazarie@gmail.com">kidkazarie@gmail.com</EMAIL> is my email. Hit me up if you need something.
Hey, we used to have a weekly thread on this, but it kinda died out. However, the first thread had alot of useful links, so I recommend you skim through it, as the resources linked covers most or all topics you mentioned:
<URL url="https://superwerer.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=662"><LINK_TEXT text="viewtopic.php?f=22&t=662">https://superwerer.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=662</LINK_TEXT></URL>

Also, my personal approach is to approach it like a student, with regular study sessions and notes etc. and then try to analyze your own music, both the good and bad aspects, apply all your newly learned terms to your own work, that way you'll become "musically aware", like you compose on a basis beyond instinct.

Good luck, I am in the same situation as you, more or less. :mrgreen:
[Image: GFBF9Xv.png]

John Chord never forgets.

Oh man that is perfect. Thanks for the link.
<EMAIL email="kidkazarie@gmail.com">kidkazarie@gmail.com</EMAIL> is my email. Hit me up if you need something.