• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Socket - From Carnage to Another EP
For a while now I have been making music inspired by old thrash, death and black metal, which may or may not show much in my tracks. I currently use MuseScore 3 and while it's clearly not designed for my purposes nor by any means perfect, it offers a surprising amount of possibilities, plus I find it easy to work with it.

These are my first five tracks with which I am trying to tell a narrative. At first they were supposed to be made with poetries by the same names (hence, "lyrics") but poetic inspiration has been lacking so here are just the tracks in the order they are supposed to be heard:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...wZRZbTL7jv

I will also tell you what part of the narrative a track tells.

Forced Funeral - this one has a sharp sounding to it. It starts slow and then quickly builds up to a wall of sound with rapid and sharp changed in tempo and rhythm (like a lot of the other tracks). It is about a stranger being buried alive, i.e. cast away by society in the most unwelcoming way.

Alone with Oneself - a mix of slow and fast parts. The tempo varies between 40 and 200 BPM. The stranger wakes up inside the coffin he got buried in and gets out of it, i.e. gathers to will the fight back.

Arising - this one stands out as much softer. It fades in and adds a new instrument every four measures until the middle - after that it builds up to the not-so-soft final. The stranger finds himself in a graveyard full of people buried alive like him and starts digging them out of their graves, i.e. he starts gathering a following of people with similar fate to get revenge.

Leprous Hordes - starts and continues fast with rapid changes in instrumentation going back and forth until the end where there is an attempted solo accompanied by another wall of sound. Hordes of leprous people go on a massive killing spree against their oppressors, i.e. the oppressed are finally up to their revenge.

From Carnage to Another - a fast first half with frequent changes, going back and forth, followed by slow and doomy riffs. Another solo, this time much shorter, before concluding in another wall of sound in the spirit of the narrative. The oppressors retaliate even more fiercely, resulting in a bloodbath, i.e. at the end violence has only led to more violence.

If these tracks sound aggressive/nasty/dark when fast and melancholic/doomy when slow, then I think I did it right. Share your thoughts, any advice would be welcome.