Plenum poll option rework

Important discussions and polls about the site and forums go in the plenum!
Jonathaj
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Plenum poll option rework

Post by Jonathaj » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:55 am

As of today, polls in plenum are required to have the following options:
Yes
Maybe
No

While yes and no make perfect sense, having maybe is pointless, having it as a mandatory option is ridiculous.
Having something like "I don't care", or "I have no opinion on the matter" would suffice, but "maybe" does not have the same meaning, it is ambiguous.
Also, if you don't care, don't vote.

My proposal is to to have this requirement for options removed altogether. I see the reason why it was made in the first place, but I believe that in the rare case of a poll with options that cannot be counted as approval vs. non-approval can be handled in a case-by-case matter.

It would be kinda ironic to have a vote here, I am just looking to discuss this matter. @SuperWerer, I summon thee.

John Chord never forgets.

SuperWerer
Administrator

Community Badges

Post by SuperWerer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:02 am

Summoned!

I agree to your reasoning of getting rid of the "maybe" option, as it doesn't clearly reflect a standpoint that can really help us decide on the matter. Now having only yes and no will not let us see how many of the users are undecided on the matter and in more complicated decisions I would like an option like the "I have no opinion on the matter" for those users who want a neutral position.

A poll with 80% I have no opinion on the matter and a 20% yes is way easier to implement than a poll with 80% no and 20% yes, as it suggests that most people are not necessarily with it, but definitely not against it and a try is worth.
So I basically see the "I have no opinion on the matter" a very realistic option and will give us some insight into the opinion stated above.
These users thanked the author SuperWerer for the post:
Jonathaj
Questions, feedback or just want to contact me?

Send me a PM or an e-mail at contact@superwerer.com

SuperWerer
Administrator

Community Badges

Post by SuperWerer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 am

The "maybe" option will now be changed to "I have no opinion on the matter" after hearing multiple opinions both from members and staff on the matter.
Questions, feedback or just want to contact me?

Send me a PM or an e-mail at contact@superwerer.com