A few words on the October Soundtrack Contest

General discussion, pretty much everything!
SuperWerer
Administrator

Community Badges

A few words on the October Soundtrack Contest

Post by SuperWerer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 pm

Hey all! So our October Soundtrack Contest is now over and I thought that it would be cool for me to sit down and sort of write down my feelings about this contest, what worked out, what was different to the official staff-hosted contests hosted before and what could be needed for future user-hosted contests.

As a first thing, lots of thanks to @BurneMusic for hosting this contest and to the judges @Jonathaj @Crizdav @Avarise and @BurneMusic himself. This was the biggest contest to be hosted in this community in terms of participation, which is of course awesome.

So this was the very first user-hosted contest which of course gave the host the opportunity to select judges to actually judge submissions in detail instead of going with the community vote on each submission. This method has of course many advantages like more detailed feedback as can be seen in the final results thread here: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=3957

Now before this contest started there were concerns of some things that did indeed happen during the contest that we should be avoiding in future ones.

1) Complete judging: Now judges do not have unlimited time. But it was the case in this contest that many submissions were only judged by 2 judges - which is half of the total number of judges. The ratings didn't get lower because of the missing judges but the rating consisted of these 2 judges' opinions instead of other submissions that had 4. This can of course make a difference. For the future, potential judges shall take this contest as an example and know what they are getting themselves into. It is definitely very time consuming and this contest definitely proved it.

2) Missing guidelines: User-hosted contests have a very wide spectrum of guidelines as they are not bound to most restrictions of the official staff-hosted contests. Still I believe that on our part (of the staff) we should have written a larger guide for hosts not with set guidelines but ideas for such that hosts can adopt. Questions that popped up were: What happens with banned members' submissions? Are remixes allowed? etc. etc. Most of them were easy to solve on spot, but I think a larger guide will be nice to have for the future.

3) Tedious copy-paste results: Bringing the results in a thread was definitely a lot of work. For the future we would like to work on a platform inside the forums that will give judges the opportunity to enter their ratings and the host to be able to turn this automatically into a results thread with a pre-made script. This would be a bit of work, but absolutely necessary for larger contests.

Due to some of the above mentioned issues there were slight delays with the results and such. These would be some things that future hosts and the staff should work on improving and with it creating an even better environment for future contests.

Other than that, great contest, worked out very nice and I hope there will be someone willing to host a contest in December! Thanks to everyone who took part in organizing this and of course to all participants!
These users thanked the author SuperWerer for the post:
Crizdav
Questions, feedback or just want to contact me?

Send me a PM or an e-mail at contact@superwerer.com