Learning Chinese or Japanese ?

General discussion, pretty much everything!

Chinese or Japanese?

Chinese
40%
Japanese
60%

Total votes: 5

DonJorge
Administrator

Community Badges

Learning Chinese or Japanese ?

Post by DonJorge » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:43 am

I saw the post by [mention]GLSTOONZ[/mention] so I have a question. I'm interested in either learning Chinese or Japanese, but I don't know what to learn. So what do you guys think is more worth to learn? I mean Chinese (or mandarin) is the most spoken language on earth (I think, or at least it's really big) and thinking ahead, China is a really big economic power and will only grow in the future. But I like japan more so idk haha. So what is your opinion guys?
These users thanked the author DonJorge for the post:
GLSTOONZ
Seem like the life I need's a little distant

Jonathaj
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Post by Jonathaj » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:03 am

Well, I chose chinese, and I have my reasons:
- I'm specifically interested in chinese culture, and not to mention, their cuisine.
- I think the language both looks and sounds rad.
- It will most likely be useful in 5-10 years, given the rapid development of china under Xi. Another strong point here is that because of the sheer number of speakers, many have no need of learning anything else, provided that they live in an environment that is isolated in certain aspects.
- I also take interest in chinese martial arts (kung fu), and the language plays a natural role in that interest.

And these are the reasons why I am not choosing japanese:
- While I have exposed myself to anime, manga and japanese games, it is not because they are japanese that I did so. On other words, I'm not very much interested in japanese nation and their culture any more than I am most other places. That is not saying I find it uninteresting at all, but rather that my attention is elsewhere.
- I do think that the western fascination with japanese culture seems a bit overhyped at times, and I don't like to take part in "trends" like that. Again, I do not look down on anyone for this, it just goes a little too far at times, in my opinion. I am not talking about those with a genuine interest here, of course, but rather those who obsess for the sake of it.

John Chord never forgets.

GLSTOONZ

Community Badges

Post by GLSTOONZ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 pm

DonJorge wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:43 am
I saw the post by @GLSTOONZ so I have a question. I'm interested in either learning Chinese or Japanese, but I don't know what to learn. So what do you guys think is more worth to learn? I mean Chinese (or mandarin) is the most spoken language on earth (I think, or at least it's really big) and thinking ahead, China is a really big economic power and will only grow in the future. But I like japan more so idk haha. So what is your opinion guys?
I think it's best to go with the language and culture you love the most that way it won't get too hard for you. With a language you love the most, i think you might breeze right through it.
These users thanked the author GLSTOONZ for the post:
DonJorge
Cartoons are beautiful when you watch them and fun to make.

Extreme_Z7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Extreme_Z7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:30 pm

I've already been learning Japanese for a few months because I like Japanese culture.

TheRightJelly
Beta Tester

Community Badges

Post by TheRightJelly » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:48 am

I've actually been learning some japaneese, so.. Nihongo o manabu!
- The Right Jelly -