Interesting/Exotic Fruit

General discussion, pretty much everything!
Gravaged
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Interesting/Exotic Fruit

Post by Gravaged » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:59 am

I'm aware of how left-field a topic like this is, but every time I go grocery shopping I pay close attention to the fruits in produce. In general I like normal fruits for the most part -- strawberries, bananas, watermelon, tangerines, etc (although I don't like apples very much). Of course I get whatever normal fruit I would get, but I usually see something new each time when I look. As bizarre as it is, I want to talk about fruits that surprised me with their existence. There are different fruits all over the world, and I get that -- but I've been around for a while and there are some fruits that I get that I've never seen before. A few of them are alterations of regular fruit, but not all. I won't be including Dragonfruit because I think most people are familiar with that. If you haven't seen it, you've definitely heard of it.
Let's begin.

PEACHES -- there are the common yellow peaches as well as white peaches. I much prefer the white peaches in every way, they're way sweeter and more appealing to my eye.
If you haven't seen the difference, here you go. HOWEVER, this isn't why I brought up peaches. These are the two main types but the other day I saw really peculiar looking peaches and had to buy one out of curiousity.
ImageImage
If you can't tell, this peach is flatter and looks kind of similar to a white peach. They're barely fuzzy, it's cool. This is called a "Saturn Peach" or a "Donut Peach", and its flesh is really pale. It taste pretty close to a white peach, but there are differences. Have any of you seen these? I asked the cashier what they were called because there were no tags, and she didn't tell me.... but I saw on the screen what it rang up as. I was like "Woah that's crazy, have you ever seen that before" and she said "Yes...." as if I had asked her if she's ever had an apple. Nobody I had spoken to has seen this though.... so I don't know what her problem was. Wikipedia said that they were popular in the 90s, which makes total sense -- and I'm going to assume that's how she knows of this fruit.

KIWI -- Kiwi is a classic and it was once one of my favourite fruits. In fact, I was even down to eat that fur fuzzy skin. For those who don't know for some reason, kiwis are intensely green. A couple years ago some kiwis caught my attention and I've never looked back.
Image WOW, a gold kiwi, it's beautiful.
They are called "Sungolds", and the skin isn't even really fuzzy. It's a lot less bitter (although that's part of why I liked regular kiwi), it's got a tropical sweetness to it and it's really really good. Please tell me, have you seen golden kiwis? I didn't until two years ago and I would get regular kiwis all the time. Crazy.

KIWANO (HORNED MELON) -- Uh this intrigued me just because of the appearance. I was specifically looking for foreign fruits, and while this is now grown in my country, it originates from Africa. This one wasn't that good to me, it tasted like cucumber and banana combined. It's got green jelly inside and you just eat the seeds (which are surrounded in the aforementioned jelly). Oh, and it's heavily spiked. Again, not my thing.

STARFRUIT -- From what I know there's both small sour versions of these, as well as big sweeter ones. While you can just eat this whole, it looks really nice when you cut it. The cross section is a star. I might give this another chance because I didn't know that there was a bigger sweeter one!

PLUMS -- Plums used to also be one of my favourites, I totally forgot their existence for a number of years and then just recently I've started buying them again. It's been a while since I've seen purple plums, but I know they're around. The black plums with ultra dark flesh are the ones I've been seeing most.
BUT THEN..... I saw a sign that said "Red Plum", and of course I got curious. It's so much sweeter and softer than a black plum. Additionally I think it looks really good.
It is my plum go to, I no longer care about the others (Although I've read there are golden plums.
Image This is the white peach of plums.

Lastly I want to touch on a fruit that I think it just okay.

APRICOTS ~~ This title is actually a little misleading. When I was at the store, I saw blue apricots and it simply said "blue apricots", but I read online that these are a sort of "pluot" which is a cross breed of plum and apricot. This one is really sweet and pretty! It looks very similar to a red plum as well, but I assure you it's not.

That is all I'm going to mention for right now, but there's a lot more I want to be seen talked about, like Mulberries. What exotic fruits have you tried, and which are your favourite? I don't want to see much discussion about average fruit.
These users thanked the author Gravaged for the post (total 2):
SuperWererCrizdav
|My Primary Soundcloud ||| My Secondary Soundcloud|
If you have any questions or need to contact me, email gravaged@superwerer.com

estherglitchy
Chapter Member
Has thanked: 0

Community Badges

Post by estherglitchy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:06 am

I have to bring up dragonfruits.

Also known as pitaya, they're honestly one of my favorite fruits if I can find them in a store by chance. When you cut it open it might be either white or reddish pink inside with seeds speckled inside. It has the consistency of a kiwi but isn't as sweet as one, sometimes referred to as bland.

They're mostly grown in tropical/sub-tropical areas of the world. It's also the fruit of these certain type of specific cactus plants.

I definitely recommend trying it if you can find one.

Aquanitic

Community Badges

Post by Aquanitic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:13 pm

wowzers i actually really like the look of the gold kiwi
I'm quite a sexy boi so you should subscribe to my Youtube ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2vGiy ... mgUQXQKhIw

Gravaged
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Post by Gravaged » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:21 am

estherglitchy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:06 am
I have to bring up dragonfruits.

Also known as pitaya, they're honestly one of my favorite fruits if I can find them in a store by chance. When you cut it open it might be either white or reddish pink inside with seeds speckled inside. It has the consistency of a kiwi but isn't as sweet as one, sometimes referred to as bland.

They're mostly grown in tropical/sub-tropical areas of the world. It's also the fruit of these certain type of specific cactus plants.

I definitely recommend trying it if you can find one.
They're good, but I figured everybody has seen one -- just because it's a popular artificial flavour. To anybody who hasn't tried them, they have a bit of a creamier texture than a kiwi. They're beautiful beautiful fruit, but I was disappointed when I tried them.
NOW ONTO MORE FRUIT YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT.

Well, first I want to say that I will be explicitly clear about if I haven't tried the fruit that I'm talking about. There are some fruits I know of but have not tried, but want to, and I will mention that when I get to them in a week or something, whenever.

RASPBERRIES-- These have been on and off my favourite fruit ever. I'm not sure if it is right now, I think right now it's strawberries for me. Anyway, I'm sure all of you have seen those deep red raspberries. They're iconic looking, in my opinion. Really I'm not sure why I like their look so much, but I must say I hated when the seeds got stuck in my teeth. It actually hurt because of the pressure. Anyway......... did you know there were golden raspberries? I will show regular ones as well in case you haven't seen them for some reason. Oh! Fun fact by the way, Russia is #1 in raspberry production (as of 2016 at least.)
ImageImage

GRAPES-- Everyone, I'm really excited about this entry. As the golden kiwi blew my mind a couple years ago, when I was 16 the first type of bizarre grape I'm going to share blew my mind as well. Are you even ready for this? I don't think you're ready for this. @Estherglitchy and I were discussing this in the Superwerer Discord server, but other than her I haven't met too many people who were familiar with either oddity I'm about to show you. First let me just say that normally there are 3 types of grapes (although some are seeded and some are seedless, I mean 3 normal types). White grapes (they look greenish), Red grapes and Black grapes. I think they're called table grapes. But anyway, white grape juice is bomb, regular grape juice is bomb -- I like grapes. There is a type of grape that is....... bred to taste like cotton candy. Yeah, I'm serious. I can still find these at Whole Foods and Sprouts.
Image These are legit, and spoiler: they really taste like cotton candy. When you first try them you might be uncomfortable with how accurate that is, I know I was.
Secondly, I want to talk about "Moon Drop Grapes". I think I've also seen them referred to as "Lady Fingers"? Well actually, Lady Fingers is a different type of this same grape but thinner, I haven't tried those..........besides the poin -- okay. Since the first time I was able to buy Moondrop Grapes, I have not seen them since and it makes me sad. My one taste... they're incredible. I way prefer them to any other grape type that I've tried. They have a great "crunch", essentially. When I first saw them I was weirded out, and in awe.
Image Weird, I know.

I will soon add mulberries and maybe some other's that I just don't feel like typing right now, but I will do a final one for this post. Just today, I was having a conversation with an admin, @Superwerer in the Discord Server (join us!) and he informed me of a very weird alteration to a common fruit.... (thanks btw, this one was crazy to me)(P.P.S. Things like these are crazy to me because I'm 21 and these things have always existed and I am just now finding out about them. If it was a fruit I had never seen before that's one thing, but when it's an alteration to something I've had all my life it trips me out. Imagine that you thought apples were okay, but you had only ever seen + had green ones. Then imagine somebody gives you a Golden Delicious one day, you didn't even know this existed and now it turns out you love that type of apple! I'm getting carried away)

WATERMELON-- A summer classic, right? It's really nice to look at too, the two-tone green rind and then that luscious (yes, luscious pinkish/reddish flesh.
Image ICONIC. They're hard to cut, but other than that they're great.
This is what I have always known, as I'm sure you have as well. But then.......
Super told me that there were two bizarre alterations! I have not tried either of these but I really really want to.
ImageImage

WHITE WATERMELONS AND ORANGE WATERMELONS. Crazy. The white one is off-putting but also alluring. I haven't researched taste differences here or anything though.
Let me know which of these fruits you have seen, or didn't know about. k plz thx

Slythpaw
Beta Tester

Community Badges

Challenge Badges

Post by Slythpaw » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:29 am

All of these fruits look absolutely amazing! Flavor however... My body makes it to hard to eat fruit. Teeth cant bite into an apple, and i dont like the taste of any fruit, unless its candy, or apple pie. But maybe one day, when i can fruit, i will exotic fruit. Btw, Nice fruit disscusion. I like its vibe. :lol:
Subscribe so i can buy more cookies...
https://www.youtube.com/user/slythpaw

SuperWerer
Administrator

Community Badges

Post by SuperWerer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:39 am

Well the yellow watermelons is something I am really looking forward to trying out in the future :D
These users thanked the author SuperWerer for the post:
Crizdav
Questions, feedback or just want to contact me?

Send me a PM or an e-mail at contact@superwerer.com

TheFrostySoul
Beta Tester

Community Badges

Post by TheFrostySoul » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44 am

Gravaged is literally the last person I would think would rant about fruit and now I'm interested in FRUIT of all other things

Now I want fruit :|
These users thanked the author TheFrostySoul for the post:
Gravaged
I need pancakes...

Gravaged
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Post by Gravaged » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:38 am

I wasn't going to add anything today tbh. Frosty I wasn't ranting, I was excitedly speaking I suppose. As a child everything is new and interesting, so it's got a wonder to it. I'm an adult, life is monotonous and the wonderment is gone. Seeing alterations of fruit that I like sparks the wonder. Probably because it's been there the whole time.
This will be short guys, it's not fun typing as much as I do -- but I have A RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM THE WORLD ABOUT GOLDEN KIWIS, and other fruits.

@EstherGlitchy today went to the grocery store with the intention of hunting for bizarre fruit, or just fruit that she's never seen before. THIS is what everybody on the forum should be doing. Hunt for fruit and report it back to this thread...
Anyway, she went to the store and was kind enough to send me pics. FYI I'm not quite sticking to the format of my original post, nor the follow-up.

These are Champagne Grapes. They look small in the picture, but for perspective they are about the size of a pea. Esther told me that rather than picking them one-by-one, you put the vine in your mouth and I guess sort of drag them off with your teeth. They are crisp, and are apparently even sweeter than regular grapes. Cute.

Next up is a mango variant. Mangoes are extremely sweet, and that's what I'd say they're known for. There is this little Mexican variant called "Ataulfo", also called a baby mango.
Image This is the baby mango compared to a regular one (on the right) Image
This little bastard is actually really acidic. It's not as sweet, which would be fine if it didn't feel like it was sour because of the acidity. It's actually brutal, like I think my face puckers up as much as it would with a lemon. Very bizarre, and if you've ever cut a mango -- you know how inefficient of a fruit it is because of the GIANT pit in the middle. This fruit was not worth it to me and I will never buy it again. Cool though, haha.

Next up, Lychee. Stay tuned...........#fruitblog
These users thanked the author Gravaged for the post:
TheFrostySoul

Gravaged
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Post by Gravaged » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:19 am

I don't endorse double posting, but I have new entries to post. Now -- honestly I forgot that I had pretty much promised to talk about Lychees (which aren't rare or anything), but the reason I came back to this today was to share another weird type of Watermelon. I had talked to some people irl and they had already seemed to know about it, so maybe I'm just behind the times -- but check this out. Oh! And just a disclaimer -- this is not something I have seen in real life, nor tried. I imagine it's like regular watermelon though.

WHAT?

I also read that they have to be harvested before they're ripe so they retain their perfect shape. So stylish, but I guess it's not something you actually eat then? I don't know, whatever.

OKAY, on to lychees. I don't have a whole lot to say about these, but I've had them and they're very good. They have such a pleasant smell, and I really like lychee flavoured candy and soda, and actually straight up lychee water -- canned. It is not very often actually that I just straight up buy the fruit, but it's got an iconic flavour.

I have nothing in mind for the next entry except for maybe mulberries. MAYBE LATER. okaybai

TheRightJelly
Beta Tester

Community Badges

Post by TheRightJelly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:40 am

I would NEVER agree to eating this, as I happen to have trypophobia... UghHGHWWghGhgg
- The Right Jelly -

Gravaged
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Post by Gravaged » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:44 am

TheRightJelly wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:40 am

I would NEVER agree to eating this, as I happen to have trypophobia... UghHGHWWghGhgg
ORLY? Trypophobia? Hmm that's a shame, well at least you can still enjoy.....a nice..... dragonfruit

TheRightJelly
Beta Tester

Community Badges

Post by TheRightJelly » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 pm

S T A H P
- The Right Jelly -

Slythpaw
Beta Tester

Community Badges

Challenge Badges

Post by Slythpaw » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:51 am

These users thanked the author Slythpaw for the post:
Gravaged
Subscribe so i can buy more cookies...
https://www.youtube.com/user/slythpaw

Gravaged
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Post by Gravaged » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:53 am

Having a friend that's an artist is really cool sometimes haha

FairCash

Post by FairCash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:36 pm

There is also the sorb (the translation is god damn forsaken by this point ) from the Sorbus domestica tree.
I allways ate them when they were beyond ripe ,they have the texture of mush with one seed and the actual taste of caramel,like prune and caramel.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sorb+tr ... TCgn5g5cM:
Take everything with moderation,even moderation.

Gravaged
Chapter Member

Community Badges

Post by Gravaged » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:04 am

I've never heard of a sorb, but fruit that tastes like caramel sounds amazing! Although not so much the mush texture...

I think they just look like pretty apples. Thanks for sharing!